Thursday 8 November 2007

Does anyone remember...

...a TV advert which featured a polystyrene cup lying on a pavement, blowing about in the wind, which concluded with the slogan "People will watch anything?" I think it might have been for digital TV or something. I'm pretty sure I didn't make it up, but no one seems to remember it and I can't find any reference to it on the net. If no one remembers it I'll assume I'm a bloody genius did make it up, and it may well become our final project.

In the meantime, here's a similar clip from American Beauty,which I definitely didn't make up. It's incredible what a difference the musical score and Ricky's monologue make to the scene. Watched on mute it's just a bag flapping in the wind, but Sam Mendes has managed to transform that one shot into a powerful and moving symbol of hope and beauty. Epic stuff.

No comments: